Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Censoring

Note: This is an old post from November 2013 that I forgot to publish.

Whenever I get bored and I've already been on the internet for a good three straight hours or when I've already taken my second nap of the day, I'll turn on the TV and more often than not, I'll end up watching something I've already seen before, but without all the scenes that the television companies think are inappropriate. I'm always surprised to see what they do end up skipping. Here's a list of the things I've noticed that are censored:

-obviously sex scenes, it skips from a couple about to kiss, to the next day when someone is getting out of bed with wild hair
-whenever anything to do with body parts is mentioned in a sexual way
-the words 'gay' or 'homosexual' or 'lesbian'
-the word 'shrine'
-'Jewish', 'Jew', or 'Judaism'
-'pork'
-you know that part in movies where a normal looking woman is eventually convinced to try something on from her best friend's closet even though, no way! she'd never wear a dress that short? well they cut that out.

Keep in mind that the words, 'fuck', 'shit', 'damn', and 'ass' are rarely ever cut out. Neither are violence scenes. With this rationale, mentioning a Jewish person is worse than saying 'fuck'. Showing a gay couple on the screen is worse than a man attempting to saw his own leg off. It's weird to see what the television companies choose to make exist, or rather, not exist to the Arabic speaking people. I was the most shocked by the fact that anything to do with homosexuals or Jewish people were not even allowed to be mentioned, almost as if these people do not exist in the world. The movies and television shows are censored to protect the minds of the supposedly innocent Muslim community, to the point of enabling an enormous amount of ignorance.
I've always noticed this thing with people here. They put up this intensely holy front all the time. Even mentioning, "Oh golly gee, Leonardo DiCaprio sure did look good then," will get a response like, "yeah but we should stop talking about this, it is forbidden in the eyes of God." I am not even allowed to express my shameless attraction for Titanic-era Leonardo without my cousin quoting a Qur'an verse. It's a whole new level of prudence.

No comments:

Post a Comment