Friday, December 27, 2013

Another Photo Diary

These pictures don't have any specific theme or anything. I just took some random pictures that don't really fit in with anything else so we'll just call this a photo diary. 

An All Grown Up Arabic notebook with the new Libyan flag on it as well as a very elegantly drawn black bald eagle.

This is a fruit stand that is near our house. That's my mom picking fruit. My mom actually hates this store because it has a little room you have to go inside to pay for your stuff. The room is insanely small and dark and stuffy and she is always afraid that the owner will close the door and lock her in. We call it 'the witch store'.

During Gadaffi's time in power, he made an effort to put public housing projects right in the middle of the high-class neighborhoods. These apartments were provided by the government. These are some of those apartment buildings on what is considered to be the highest-class street in Benghazi, Dubai Street. It's also in front of this great bakery so while my mom was getting bread I took this picture. 

My aunt gave me this perfume for my birthday. It's 'Miss Dolly Cherry' and it's obviously a really bad knockoff of 'Miss Dior Cherie.' I like how everything is just a little bit off in the name to let you know what it's supposed to be without giving you the illusion that it's the real thing. It reminds me of that episode of 30 Rock where Liz gets sick after eating too much chuckle burger in Stone Mountain, Georgia so Jack goes out and brings her 'Peppy Bismilk' for her stomach.

After about 4 months of no rain, it has been raining nonstop here. The roads flood. This is not bad at all compared to some of the places I've been. The weird things is, I don't ever remember taking this picture. Also, this makes it look like we drive on the right side of the road and we don't, although there are really no rules when it comes to the way Libyans drive. If traffic is really bad, people start driving on the sidewalk.

Thus begins the pictures of things I found at the mall. This is a man modeling a satin pajama set. He looks so relaxed and ready for his spotlight.

When I was in middle school, I bet you my mom would have totally done this to a pair of my jeans. When I bought shoes that my mom didn't think were good because of their color, I would come home from school to find my shoes spray painted. I still have a bunch of shirts with random button assortments on them to hide a stain or a mark that wouldn't go away.

At least she would never make this.

Driving by a protest calling for stability.

The same witch store, but this time you can see more of Libya.

A little cafe stand made to look like a Nutella jar. It's a secretly unwritten rule that it's for men only though. 

Yeah so I bet this is what you all thought living in Libya would look like. I couldn't believe it when I saw it because this is the first time, but here is dry desert land with a herd of camels eating. 

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, how are you?

    My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.

    I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of used stamps because trough them, you can see pictures about fauna, flora, monuments, landscapes etc. from all the countries. As every day is more and more difficult to get stamps, some years ago I started a new collection in order to get traditional letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately, it is impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are very small countries with very few population, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.

    For all this, I would ask you one small favor:
    Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Libya? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Libya in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and an original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

    Emilio Fernandez Esteban
    Calle Valencia, 39
    28903 Getafe (Madrid)
    Spain

    If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.

    Finally, I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

    Yours Sincerely

    Emilio Fernandez

    ReplyDelete