Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Thoughts on SATC from Someone Who's Probably Not a Part of it's Targeted Audience

Okay so I watch Sex and the City. I have no idea why I watch it. I mean, it's a terrible show. It's really bad. I don't understand these women and I never will. They really kind of suck. The really, really suck. Even though the main characters are all women, all they can ever seem to talk about is men, men, men *cue Two and a Half Men theme song*. I watch it because it's fascinating to me. The whole time I watch I just think, wow do people actually live like this? The answer of course is no. Now normally I wouldn't care about this show enough to write anything about it, but there was a point where I actually found myself getting mad. I was annoyed and worked over this part in season 2, episode 4, titles, "They Shoot Single People, Don't They?" This scene is at the part where Samantha is slowly realizing that had been stood up on her date at a restaurant and she starts to get embarrassed. She begins frantically trying to collect herself and asks the busboy where she could find the bathroom.


She felt exposed, vulnerable, like a fool.
My God, people are Iooking.
-I'm so embarrassed. -It's okay.
-Where's the Iadies' room? -This way.
Show me the way.
You okay?
Thank you. You're very sweet.
I'm not usually Iike this.
I can't believe I fell for some guy's Iine.
But sometimes you just need to hear "we."
You know?
Samantha let the Pakistani busboy kiss her.
After all, he'd been so sweet and attentive with the bread.
You take me home, you're not alone.
As Samantha looked into his sweet and hopeful eyes, she realized something.
No matter how much it hurts...
...sometimes it's better to be alone than fake it.


Let me preface my annoyance by making it clear that not ever, not once in Sex and the City so far was nationality ever mentioned. It was never explicitly narrated where anyone was ever from, other than a state like Connecticut (everyone is white in this show). However, it just so happens that when Samantha talks to 'the sweet busboy', it has to be mentioned that he is, in fact, Pakistani. This automatically categorizes him as 'other'. When Sarah Jessica Parker's voice over said 'Pakistani', to me it almost sounded like a slur. The way they conveniently plugged in 'the help's background', almost makes it seem as though his nationality is his ultimate defining characteristic. It makes it seem as though the audience is supposed to understand that, oh yeah he's Pakistani, there's no way that Samantha could possibly go home with him now. Silly Pakistani busboy, you should set your sights elsewhere, like a nice Pakistani girl, or Indian, whatever backwards country you're from, you need someone who will understand your 'otherness'.
 Also, the fact that this Pakistani man was given a serving job is racist in its self. While there is nothing wrong with being a busboy, there is something wrong with the only Pakistani person featured on the show (and also probably the only person of color I have seen in a long time) being given a role in which he is seen as lesser. He is the busboy at an upscale restaurant that has basically all white patrons of whom he serves.
Samantha's character has never had a problem with one night stands or quick and comforting sexual encounters, but once a non-white person tries, she refuses. Samantha is obviously in complete control and I do recognize her own agency in deciding who she gets to sleep with, but it does seem convenient that when she does turn down sex, it is for a Pakistani busboy. Samantha kisses him as he was "sweet and attentive with the bread". This line begins with 'After all' and when lines begin with 'after all', an explanation normally follows. The SATC writers felt the need to explain why Samantha would ever be kissing him. It makes it seem as though Samantha did not actually want to kiss him, but wanted to thank him for being an extra good boy, fetching her bread when she needed something to eat. However, once he asks her to take him home, she looks him in his mud colored eyes and decides against it. At this point, I had to pause the episode and just stop watching it. I hated this episode and I hated this part. Sex and the City has so many problems and I hate it... I'm on Season 3 right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment